I do feel obliged to update on the Alton Centre run by Active Care – a subsidiary of Southern Cross – just as I have been following the story. Active Care won their appeal against closure yesterday and it is reported in the local Northamptonshire Evening Telegraph.
On Friday the Care Standards Tribunal ruled the appeal would stand and the urgent order obtained from magistrates by CSCI would cease to have effect.
Conditions were attached to the reopening
A CSCI spokesman said although the urgent order had been overturned, the tribunal had placed stringent conditions on Active Care Partnership.
They include extra care and nursing staff and specialist staff over the next six months, limiting the number of residents to 19 over the next six months, and frequent inspections by CSCI.
CSCI’s Regional Director for the East, Norwyn Cole, said: “We welcome the fact that the tribunal has imposed stringent conditions on the Active Care Partnership which are designed to safeguard this very vulnerable group of people.
“This acknowledges that there was a serious risk to the residents.
“The commission will closely monitor and inspect the home on a frequent basis.
I think this sounds like a good solution for the residents. Moving everyone wholesale and quickly would be in no-one’s best interest. It does beg a few questions about the way the home was run prior to these incidents (and I am referring more to wider management by a larger scale employer wanting to cut costs rather than the individual home manager in question).
I see that the additional staff are to be provided over six months. I wonder what will be happening after that. In any case, it will be interesting to follow the CSCI reports.
Corners can’t be cut with care standards and services.